Distinguished Young Women of Maryland is part of a national scholarship program that promotes and rewards scholarship, leadership and talent in young women.
College scholarships are awarded at the state level ( last year) and millions in college-granted scholarships are available ($1.5 billion nationally). And one representative will advance to the national program in Mobile, Alabama where they give away over $100,000 in cash tuition scholarships.
And it’s FREE to participate!
You must be a in high school to participate. Sign up today so you don’t miss out on this life-changing experience!
The Candidates for the 2019 Distinguished Young Women have all been selected. 20 young women from all over the state of Maryland will be competing on Saturday, July 14 @3pm at Carroll Community College. Tickets are available by calling 410 876-5505 or by visiting the website for the Community Foundation of Carroll County, beginning June 1. Pre-sale dissented tickets can be purchased from your local DYW before May 6.
Class of 2019 DYW of Maryland finalists Schedule (This schedule is for girls who have been selected to advance to the state program as a local or at-large representative)
If you are selected to advance to the state program, the following dates and activities are mandatory, so please check over the dates before you decide to participate in a local program:
Sunday, May 6, 2018 (11:00 am-5pm) - State Orientation - (Participants, Parents invited). @ McDonogh School Campus, 3800 McDonogh Road, Owings Mills, MD 21117 - meet on campus at: The Edward St. John Building. (Girls plan to eat lunch with us and parents will drop off and return at 2 pm)
Schedule for Orientation Day, Sunday, May 6, 2018:
• 11:00 AM – Arrival to McDonogh School, Owings Mills dressed in your interview outfit (business attire) and medallions!
• 11:00 AM – Introductions including parents, medallion presentation to at large candidates and review days schedule, selection of contestant order, BYBS partners and assignments.
• 11:30 Parents excused and invited back by 3pm for orientation and paperwork.
• 11:30 Group photo for program book
• 11:45 Individual head shot photos for program books. After photos change into rehearsal clothing –shorts and tennis shoes.
12:00pm –12:30pm – Lunch (Please sit with your BYBS partners so you can discuss lesson plans)
• 12:30pm – 1:30pm Rehearsal of Fitness #
• 1:40 pm – 2:45pm Rehearsal of Opening #
• 3:00pm – Parents Return
• 3:00pm – 3:45 DYW and Parent Q & A and orientation: Baskets, t-shirts & state schedule, wardrobe needs, packing for states, ads, ThorpeWood schedule/MD Scholars training, housing & security, scholarship claim procedures, DYW referral program.
• 3:45pm– 4:00pm - Elena’s send-off fashion show and talent presentation
• 4:00pm – 4:30pm Turn in State Contracts, Purchase t-shirts, tickets & sign up for side dish for Thorpewood and enjoy Cake Reception to honor Elena before she leaves for nationals!
*4:00pm - 4:45pm - Parents, Host Families, Little Sisters, Alumnae and Class of 2018 are invited
Things to bring to orientation: Your DYW medallion, work-out clothes & tennis shoes
*STATE Participant Agreement signed by DYW and parent
*T-shirt order form & payment (You will wear t-shirts on stage for fitness as well as for appearances to the Boys & Girls Club, rehearsals and college visits)
*Showcase Ticket order form & payment
State Finals for Class of 2019, Saturday, July 14, 2018. Girls will arrive on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 @ ThorpeWood, Catoctin Mountains!
State DYW Schedule:
July 11, 2018 1:30pm- DYW's arrive at ThorpeWood (eat lunch before coming) for overnight retreat, team building and rehearsals. Please bring a dish to share for dinner. (Sign up at Orientation). Parents stay for brief orientation (about 1 hour) and then leave.
July 12, 2018 - 4:30pm - DYW's arrive in Westminster, pool party and stay with host families.
July 13, 2018 - 8:45am - BYBS presentations at Boys & Girls Club of Westminster, Tour & lunch at McDaniel College
1:30pm - 7:30pm - Theater for rehearsals then to host family
Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 9:30am to theater for rehearsals
11:45am Interviews begin
3:00 pm State DYW Program at:
Carroll Community College, The Scott Center for the Performing Arts,
1601 Washington Road, Westminster, MD21157
6:00pm - All (Alumnae, Participants, families, Host Families and little sisters and friends) are invited on their own, to join the new 2019 State Representative for dinner at Maggie's Restaurant at 310 E. Green Street • Westminster, MD 21157.
Watch the 61st Year Anniversary National Showcase Live-Stream at www.DistinguishedYW.org on June 30, 2018 @ 8pm EST!
(Preliminary's can be viewed also on Thur, June 28 & Friday June29).
July 14th - Sate Showcase at 3pm at Carroll Community College!